Virtualization makes possible many of the latest cutting-edge technologies. From cloud computing and Virtual Desktops Infrastructure (VDI) to green data centers and utility computing, it is all made possible because of virtualization technologies.
This course will provide an introduction into x86 virtualization. Specifically, you will be introduced to Type I and Type II hypervisors using several common applications such as VMware, Workstation, Oracle Virtualbox, Amazon Web Services, and VMware ESXi.
See specific content information below in sections "Expected Outcomes" and "Attend and You Will Learn."
If you are seeking to advance or launch a career in information technology, a solid understanding of virtualization technologies is an essential skill. This course will introduce the fundamentals of virtualization technologies in a workstation environment (Type I) and a server environment (Type II).
Upon completion of this course, you will know how to install and configure a VMware Workstation and a Oracle VirutalBox. You will know how to install Windows 7 as the virtual machine and how to install and configure a Linux Virtual machine. You will also know how to install and configure Microsoft Windows Hyper-V core.
Introduction to Operating Systems
- Day 1 – Introduction to Type II hypervisors – VMware Workstation
Lab 1 – Installing and configuring VMware Workstation
- Day 2 – Introduction to Type II hypervisors - Oracle VirtualBox
Lab 2 – Installing and configuring Oracle VirtualBox
- Day 3 – Installing a Windows Virtual Machine (Workstation and VirtualBox)
Lab 3 – Installing and configuring Windows 7 as a Virtual Machine (VM)
- Day 4 – Installing a Linux Virtual Machine (Workstation and VirtualBox)
Lab 4 – Installing and configuring a Linux Virtual Machine (VM) (Ubuntu, DSL, and Centos)
- Day 5 – Introduction to Windows Hyper-V
Lab 5 – Installing and configuring Microsoft Windows Hyper-V
Introduction to Type I hypervisors (Hyper-V, ESXi 5.5, and Xenserver)
- Day 6 – Introduction to Windows Hyper-V Core
Lab 6 – Installing and configuring Microsoft Windows Hyper-V Core
- Day 7 – Introduction to Type I hypervisors – VMware ESXi 5.5
Lab 7 – VMware ESXi in the Enterprise (Type I hypervisor)
- Day 8 – Introduction to Type I hypervisors – Citrix Xenserver
Lab 8 – Citrix XenServer (Type I hypervisor)
Special topics (time permitting)
- Introduction to Cloud Computing
Lab ST1 – Understanding Cloud Service Delivery Models (IAAS, PAAS, SAAS)
Reading: NIST Cloud Computing Synopsis and Recommendations (Special Publication 800-146)
- Introduction to Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Lab ST2 – Amazon Web Services (AWS) – Amazon Web Services (AWS) – Elastic Computing2 (EC2)
Instructor: Richard Kissiah